This month we’re all about tomatoes. Whether you’re making a sandwich, an Italian treat, or Mexican food, tomatoes are a terrific staple! Enjoy our delicious and kid friendly Nacho recipe from our Mexican Cookbook Kit!
Mexican-ize My…Chips into Nachos, Serves 4 to 6, Level 1
1 large bag corn tortilla chips
1 15-ounce can refried pinto or black beans (frijoles)
2½ cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese (queso)
2 tomatoes (tomates)
1 cup salsa
1 cup guacamole
½ cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dice the tomates and set aside.
3. Pour the frijoles into a small skillet and heat over low heat until warm.
4. Place the chips in the casserole dish.
5. Pour the frijoles, queso and tomates over the chips and place the casserole dish in the oven. Bake until the queso melts (about 12 to 15 minutes).
6. After removing the casserole dish from oven, top the nachos with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
For a low-fat version, use reduced-fat queso, or cut the amount of queso in half and add 1 diced bell pepper.