We’ve been extra chilly lately and have been filling up on soups and stews for extra warmth! Trying to stay warm with your kiddos? Stay indoors one afternoon, bundle up, and start cooking!
Our winter suggestion:
Mamma Mia Minestrone from the Handstand Kids Italian Cookbook Kit!
Serves 6, Level: 3
- 1 can (15 ounces) of red beans
- 1 can (12 ounces) of whole peeled tomatoes (Pomodori)
- 1 yellow onion (cipolla)
- 2 potatoes
- 2 cups of green beans
- 2 chopped tomatoes (Pomodori)
- 2 cups of zucchini
- 2 cups of mushrooms
- 2 cups of celery
- 1 quart of vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 quarts of water
- Salt and Pepper (sale e pepe)
- 2 cups of macaroni (maccheroni)
- 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese (Parmigiano)
- Cutting Board
- Soup Pot
- Measuring Cup
- Oven Mitts
- Wooden Spoon
- Chop the vegetables and potatoes into bite size pieces.
- Place all the ingredients, except the maccheroni and parmigiano, into the soup pot on the stove on a high heat setting.
- When the water boils, pour in the maccheroni while wearing oven mitts and let it cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and sprinkle with parmigiano.
Alternative: For a heartier soup, add a handful of cooked meatballs to the soup pot 5 minutes before the soup is ready.
If you end up making your own minestrone, be sure to post photos on our facebook wall!