Your child’s teacher has spent the past 270 days helping your kids grow and learn. With summer around the corner and the last days of school approaching, teach your children to appreciate their mentors by making gifts for them to take to school. Create some of these fun crafts from Disney Family Fun your youngsters and see their teacher’s delighted faces!
Of course if you’d rather, baking a sweet treat for your teachers is always an option – and it’s our favorite. The Handstand Kids Baking Around the World Cookbook has a delicious recipe for Carrot Walnut Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting that would make any teacher smile!
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ¼ cups shredded carrots
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Lined cupcake pans or baking cups
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk the sugars, eggs and oil together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon to the sugar mixture and whisk until combined.
4. Use spatula to fold in carrots and walnuts.
5. Spoon batter into the lined cupcake pans or baking cups and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove and let cool at room temperature, then top with Cream Cheese Frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 cup cream cheese, softened at room temperature
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
Electric mixer or hand mixer
1. Place cream cheese in mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until smooth.
2. Scrape down the sides of bowl with spatula and beat to make sure there are no lumps.
3. Add softened butter and beat on low speed until smooth. Add sour cream and beat on low speed until smooth.
4. Turn off mixer and slowly add powdered sugar to the bowl.
5. Add vanilla and beat again on low speed until smooth.
6. Spread frosting on cupcakes and serve.
Alternative: Make carrot cake by placing the batter in a square baking pan and baking for 40 to 45 minutes.