A great rule of thumb for creating a healthy meal is that the more color you add, the healthier it is! That’s why we’re excited to feature eggplants – their vibrant purple color will add a playful punch to your Handstand Kids’ plates.
Before you dive into our awesome Italian recipe, here are five things that you may not know about eggplants:
- Although we like to think of them as vegetables, eggplants are botanically classified as a berry with numerous small, soft, edible seeds.
- Eggplants are a part of the nightshade family and are closely related to the tomato and potato families.
- China is the world’s top eggplant producing country.
- Other names for the eggplant include aubergine, melongene, brinjal and guinea squash.
- As you will learn below, in Italian, eggplant is called “melanzane” which means “crazy apple.”
Now that you know a little bit more about eggplants, you’re ready to make The Leaning Tower of Eggplant from our Handstand Kids Italian cookbook!