It’s getting chillier and all we want to do is curl up on the couch with a cup of hot soup and some delicious home made grilled cheese. Feel like doing the same? Let your little ones lead the way!
Challah Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup
1. Challah- or any favorite bread (2 slices per sandwich)
2. Butter- room temperature or melted
3. Sliced cheese- cheddar is yummy
4. Tomato soup-TJ’s has a yummy creamy organic one
5. Basil- for soup (optional) fresh or dried
1. Place soup in microwaveable bowl or stovetop pot, add basil and heat until hot.
2. Heat skillet. Butter both pieces of Challah. Place one slice of bread butter side down in skillet and let brown. Arrange cheese on other slice then place onto of first piece in skillet (butter side up). Flip over so the new piece of bread gets nice and golden brown. Take off when both side are brown and cheese is melted.
3. Ladle soup into bowls and let sandwiches slightly cool to the touch. Use a spoon or better yet, the sandwiches make great dippers!
| Tags: cooking
, cooking with kids
, fruits and vegetables
, grilled cheese
, healthy cooking
, healthy eating
, healthy kids
, healthy parents
, Kids Cook
This month we’re all about tomatoes. Whether you’re making a sandwich, an Italian treat, or Mexican food, tomatoes are a terrific staple! Enjoy our delicious and kid friendly Nacho recipe from our Mexican Cookbook Kit!
Mexican-ize My…Chips into Nachos, Serves 4 to 6, Level 1
1 large bag corn tortilla chips
1 15-ounce can refried pinto or black beans (frijoles)
2½ cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese (queso)
2 tomatoes (tomates)
1 cup salsa
1 cup guacamole
½ cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Dice the tomates and set aside.
3. Pour the frijoles into a small skillet and heat over low heat until warm.
4. Place the chips in the casserole dish.
5. Pour the frijoles, queso and tomates over the chips and place the casserole dish in the oven. Bake until the queso melts (about 12 to 15 minutes).
6. After removing the casserole dish from oven, top the nachos with salsa, guacamole and sour cream.
For a low-fat version, use reduced-fat queso, or cut the amount of queso in half and add 1 diced bell pepper.